Thursday, August 21, 2014

Thursday's Something Else (Lakmé is in a Trance)

nicked today's post title from dehggial, who writes the nifty blog opera, init? My petty theft is only semi-appropriate, since this post will appear on Friday in most parts of the world. It’s also only semi-appropriate because it’s not as far off-topic for this blog as it may seem.

Regular readers of my posts and the occasional chat threads will not be totally surprised by a trance arrangement of the Flower Duet from Lakmé. Especially not after discussions of Reggae Vitellia, House Vitellia, Big Band and/or Blues Vitellia; plus a few other odd (imagined or real) fusions of opera and dance music.

I love discovering pieces/songs in my music library that I had no idea I owned. I was listening to this trance album today (Thursday). Yes, some opera fans are dance music fans, too—even though we do realize that most trance music sounds like most other trance music. But about four minutes into this song, I started thinking, “That little vocal riff sounds so familiar!”

If you don’t like dance music, or classical music turned into dance music, or classical music generally messed with at all, you’ll probably hate this track.


If you need to cleanse your aural palate, here's a more traditional version.

4 comments:

  1. Actually I guess there's a lot of classical-to-pop adaptations. I can't think of any other opera ones at the moment, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There must be some Nessun dorma or O mio babbino caro worked into some things, god knows they always get picked for pop talent shows. Actually, now that I think about it Tori Amos does have an album that's based on art song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then there's this one I just found (not that I was really looking. Honest!)
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE8cKHuP0bI

      Delete
    2. it's rather pretty.

      Delete

Comments are very welcome! They won't be moderated; but rude, abusive, and/or radically off-topic posts will be removed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...