Friday, September 4, 2015

Gratuitous Friday – Mixed Reactions to Dorothea Röschmann

Really, it's a mixed reaction to this email from Spotify:




Looking at the picture, I assumed the whole album was there. Hooray!!! Looking at the actual message, I realized one song was there. Boooo!! Well, Hooray for that, too, since it's a lovely song and a beautiful performance:



It was kind of a kismet moment, since just yesterday I'd listened to Ms. Uchida's Schumann recital with the secret Dorothea Röschmann track. (I sort of remembered DR was on this disc, but it still came as a (pleasant) surprise to hear her beautiful voice pop in for a minute or so after all that amazing piano playing.)



Well it may go without saying, that all this limited DR/Schumann exposure was a bit frustrating. So I went to this disc (not Schumann, but hey, Schubert did some pretty melodies, too!) as a consolation prize.


At this point, it also probably goes without saying that every time I think I’m not that into Lieder, I happen upon performances like these recordings from DR, that make my ears (and mind and heart) perk up. 

Finally, apropos of nothing really: I never thought about how tragic Gretchen am Spinnrade (#6 above) is, until I listened DR sing it this morning. Based on my experiences accompanying all my soprano buddies in my undergrad years, I always thought of this more as a really annoying finger exercise. I really should stop thinking that I'm just not that into Lieder, and just listen to more!

I have more to say about Schumann Lieder, but I will save that for another post. 

P.S. Yes I am still around. I am in the throes of moving house (again!) I hope to post more regularly again once we are re-settled. 

4 comments:

  1. I never thought about how tragic Gretchen am Spinnrade (#6 above) is, until I listened DR sing it this morning.

    I've been recently musing on how you need to hear a specific singer do a specific piece in order to "get" it (ok, some pieces are easier than others; some are so impenetrable that you really need a specific singer to unlock them). Some singers speak to you more often than others and some speak to you in one piece only.

    also a propos of nothing: that is a very beautiful picture of DR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "hear a specific singer do a specific piece in order to "get" it..."

      I totally agree. Two cases in point:

      http://regieornotregie.blogspot.com/2014/01/sunday-brunch-matthias-goerne-sings-bach.html

      http://regieornotregie.blogspot.com/2014/02/gratuitous-friday-miah-persson-is-sifare.html

      Delete
    2. Love that Matthias Goerne track :)

      and hey, good luck with the move!

      Delete

Comments are very welcome! They won't be moderated; but rude, abusive, and/or radically off-topic posts will be removed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...